1. Get a partner. Go to a quiet place.
2. Turn on your recorder. Figure out how it works. Record. Stop. Play.
3. Test it. Record 30 seconds of room tone. Then play it back and listen to it. Note the sounds you hear. If they are too loud, find a quieter place.
4. Take turns interviewing each other.
Ask the following questions:
- What is your name and where did you grow up?
- Tell me about your hometown. What is it like?
- Tell me specific memory or story that sums up what this place is like?
- If you were going to take me to one place in your town, where would we go?
- Do you consider it a good place to grow up? Why or why not?
- Do you see yourself living there in the future? Why or why not?
5. Repeat the interview with the other person.
6. Come back to the room. Get your two audio file to your computer. If you are using a cell phone, email it to yourself. Then save them to your desktop. If you are using a digital recorder, plug in your USB and find the files. Drag them to your desktop. Save them there. We will edit them next class.