Here are the instructions for getting your audio file off of your device, edited with Audacity, and posted to Soundcloud. Use it for Post 8: Audio with Photo.
1. Get your two audio file to your computer. If you are using a cell phone, email it to yourself. Then save them to your desktop. If you are using a digital recorder, plug in your USB and find the files. Drag them to your desktop.
2. Import your interview file.
File > Import > Audio
Optional: If your file will not import into Audacity, you may have to convert it.
Convert your files using Switch
Open Switch. (Go>Applications>Switch)
• Drag your files into the workspace.
• Set the output to .wav
• Check the box marked “Output to the same folder as source files.”
• Click “Convert” button.
• Look on your desktop. You now have duplicates of all of your files, but it will say .wav at the end. These are the files you want to use.
3. Listen to your audio interview. Listen for the best soundbites. Try to find the following:
- Exposition – the person says who she is, where she’s from, and a bit about the place she grew up.
- Anecdote – the person tells a brief story or memory about their hometown.
- Moment of Reflection – the person explains the “why” of their anecdote. Why they liked or didn’t like growing up there. Why they do or don’t want to return.
4. Using techniques like selecting, splitting, deleting, duplicating and moving, edit your interview. Here is a link to the full Audacity tutorial.
5. When you are done, create a second track and import your room tone audio. Duplicate and edit until it is the same length as you interview. Adjust the volume of the room tone so it fills in the gaps in your edit, but sounds natural. (Step 13 in tutorial)
6. Create an .mp3 of your file. (Step 16 in tutorial)
7. Post your .mp3 audio file on Soundcloud.
• Go to SoundCloud.com Create an account.
• Upload your audio to SoundCloud.
• When it it done loading, click on the “Share” button.
• Click on the “Embed” button.
• Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “More Options” triangle.
• Copy the embed code for WordPress. It begins
• Paste it into your WordPress.com post with the Text tab open, NOT Visual. It will create a player that looks like this:
8. For the Post 8: Audio Interview and Photo assignment, follow the instructions for formatting your headline, photo, intro text and sound clip.