Here are the instructions for getting your audio file off of your device, edited with Audacity, and posted to Soundcloud.
1. Get your audio file to your computer. If you are using a cell phone, email it to yourself or use DropBox. Then save them to your desktop. If you are using a digital recorder, plug in your USB and find the files. Drag them to your desktop.
2. Import your interview file.
File > Import > Audio
Optional: If your file will not import into Audacity, you may have to convert it.
Convert your files using Switch
Open Switch. (Go>Applications>Switch)
• Drag your files into the workspace.
• Set the output to .wav
• Check the box marked “Output to the same folder as source files.”
• Click “Convert” button.
• Look on your desktop. You now have duplicates of all of your files, but it will say .wav at the end. These are the files you want to use.
3. Listen to your audio interview. Listen for the best soundbites. Try to find the following:
- Exposition – the person says who she is, where she’s from, and a bit about the place she grew up.
- Anecdote – the person tells a brief story or memory about their hometown.
- Moment of Reflection – the person explains the “why” of their anecdote. Why they liked or didn’t like growing up there. Why they do or don’t want to return.
4. Edit your interview in Audacity. Here is an overview of the basic things like importing, splitting, moving, and exporting.
7. Post your .mp3 audio file on Soundcloud.
• Go to SoundCloud.com Create an account.
• Upload your audio to SoundCloud.
• When it it done loading, click on the “Share” button.
• Click on the “Embed” button.
• Click on the box marked “WordPress code”
• Copy the embed code for WordPress.
• Paste it into your WordPress.com post with the Text tab open, NOT Visual. It will create a player that looks like this:
8. Add your text and photos to the post. Format it in a way that you think best captures your viewer’s attention and tells the story.