Worth 200 points
Due at the end of the final exam period (TBA). No late work accepted. Whatever is posted by the end of the exam period is what will be graded. If nothing is posted, you will receive a zero for the assignment.
For this post, create a final project – a substantial post – for your blog. It should demonstrate what you have learned over the course of the semester and be the culmination of your blog coverage to date. Your primary goal is to tell a compelling, interactive story.
Your final project will be one post that consist of two parts:
1.) a text article formatted for the web
2.) an accompanying multimedia feature
Your article and your multimedia should complement each other, but each should also be able to stand alone on its own. For example, if someone only reads your article or only views your multimedia, she should still able to understand the story.
Use the text for the story basics, information, quotes from sources, and links to additional resources. Use your multimedia feature to add vivid color to your story.
Your feature will be assessed on the following:
• story content
• original reporting (interviews, events attended, information gathered)
• quality of the presentation
• completion of each required presentation elements (see below)
Your final project must contain both of the following:
1. A 500-word article formatted for the web (100 points)
• clear, descriptive headline using key-words (5 points)
• strong lead (10 points)
• organized story structure (20 points)
• 2 people (with full names and a phrase that connects them to the topic) quoted saying something relevant and interesting (20 points)
• at least five appropriate hyperlinks to more information (10 points)
• short paragraphs or subheads to break up large sections of text (5 points)
• five key word tags (5 points)
• compelling story topic (25 points)
-2 points for each typo, grammar, spelling, or punctuation error
2. Multimedia component (100 points)
Select a multimedia feature that is the best way conveying information. It must contain original reporting and content, not simply aggregation or reproducing what has been done by others.
• photo essay (at least 10 photos with interesting, detailed captions that include quotes)
• photos and audio clip (5+ photos and max. 2 min audio clip)
• audio slide show (20 photos and 1:30 audio)
• web video (max. 4 min.)
Multimedia will be graded on the following:
• quality of media gathered (25 points)
• editing and presentation (25 points)
• effort in original reporting (25 points)
• story content (25 points)